Hey everyone so I am back with another interview continuing my interview series with you all.
This time I got the opportunity to interview Anil Agarwal who is one of the well known Digital Marketer from India.
So without wasting your precious time.
Let’s get started
- An Interview With Anil Agarwal – Founder of Bloggerspassion.com
- 1. Please introduce yourself to BloggingIndian readers?
- 3. What are the skills that can help a beginner to start living a laptop lifestyle?
- 3. What are your income sources? How much do you make every month at an average?
- 4.Which revenue source do you think is the most effective for bloggers/marketers?
- 6. What do you think about the future of blogging?
- 7. How to convince parents to start supporting their child to start a blog? How did you convince your parents?
- 8. What are your favorite ways to generate traffic to your blog?
- 9. Which blogging tools do you recommend?
- 10. If you had to start from scratch, what would you do different? What’s your #1 blogging mistake?
- 11. What role did school and college shape you in making you a marketer?
- 12. Which hosting will you recommend to newbie bloggers?
- 13. Most challenging moment in your Blogging career and How you dealt with it?
- 14. What special tip you would like to give to newbies who are just starting out in Blogging?
An Interview With Anil Agarwal – Founder of Bloggerspassion.com
1. Please introduce yourself to BloggingIndian readers?
Hello Guys. My Name is Anil Agarwal and I’m the guy behind Bloggerspassion.com blog. I started Bloggers Passion blog in 2010 with the aim to help blogging community with their blogging, SEO and monetization related needs.
Apart from Bloggers Passion, I also own Hosting Monks where I will try to share web hosting related solutions to my blog readers.
What inspired you to start blogging? What are your favorite blogs that made you what you are today?
I started working on blogs while trying to build backlinks for companies projects that were assigned to me. Initially I was using free blogging platforms like Blogger, WordPress, Weebly etc to create backlinks for companies websites.
But soon, I realized the true potential of blogging and I started creating blogs there. For the first couple of years, I was using free Blogger.com blogs to create blogs. And once I understood the basics of blogging, I moved to self hosted WordPress blog.
I was motivated by the success of pro-bloggers like Amit Agarwal (Labnol.org), Darren Rowse (ProBlogger.com) and Jeremy Schoemaker (ShoeMoney.com).
3. What are the skills that can help a beginner to start living a laptop lifestyle?
According to me, you should be really good in one skill at least. And should be willing to learn new skills. If you look at me, I was really good at search engine optimization, but with time, I improved my writing skills.
While working on Blogs, I gained working knowledge of lots of aspects of digital marketing (Email marketing, affiliate marketing, video marketing, social media marketing to name a few).
If you are good at writing, you can outsource tasks related to design or development so that you can focus more on content creation and its marketing.
3. What are your income sources? How much do you make every month at an average?
For the past 2-3 years, we have been focusing on affiliate marketing. Most of our earnings (More than 90%) these days are coming from affiliates product selling.
We are selling web hosting, WordPress themes & plugins and SEO tools related affiliate products to our blog readers via blog contents, social channels, emails and through our videos.
Coming to the question of how much we are able to make every month, we have been constantly hitting $10,000 plus amount every month from Bloggers Passion blog only.
In 2018, we end up making $106,000 plus amount and aiming at taking our revenue to $150,000 in 2019 which will be $12,000 monthly revenue on average. You can know more in detail about our 2018 income report from here.
4.Which revenue source do you think is the most effective for bloggers/marketers?
If you can create a killer product and market it, nothing like it. But if you don’t want to go into that direction, affiliate product selling is a great alternate. With affiliate marketing, you don’t need a huge amount of traffic on your website. You can make $10,000 plus amount every month with a daily traffic of 2000 users even if it’s targeted.
With affiliate marketing, you need to pick the right products, understand people’s problem and how these products are going to resolve those problems.
6. What do you think about the future of blogging?
Trend for blogging is growing and it will keep getting better with time. If you want to start a career in blogging, it could be a great choice, but you should have the passion for it. You cannot get success in blogging if you don’t have the passion for what you are blogging about.
7. How to convince parents to start supporting their child to start a blog? How did you convince your parents?
At least in India, it’s going to take long before parents will understand the true potential of blogs and blogging. They are born with a mindset of traditional jobs. As a child, it’s going to be difficult for you to convince them by the time they don’t see success with the efforts you are doing online.
In my case, I was in a full time job for a long time and side by side I was building my blog and creating some backup as well for me. Once my blog reaches a certain level, I left my full time job and focus full time to my blogging career.
8. What are your favorite ways to generate traffic to your blog?
So far, we have been depending heavily on Google search for our traffic needs. More than 85% of traffic that we are getting on Bloggers Passion blog is coming from Google search.
For that we are creating content around the terms that easy to rank (low search volume and less keyword difficulty) and then market them.
Once we have picked a topic, we write really detailed content (more than 2000 words long) around it covering all aspects of it. Then we try to create some high quality backlinks for them via guest posts, blog comments, social media channels, interviews, videos etc.
To diversify our traffic sources, we are giving a try to other channels like Facebook Groups, Pinterest, Quora and YouTube videos as well these days.
9. Which blogging tools do you recommend?
Here are some important blogging tools I use and recommend as well:
- SEO Tools: SEMrush and Ahrefs for all kind of SEO and SEM related needs.
- Email Marketing: Drip and ConvertKit
- Content Creation: Google docs
- Heatmaps and for Better Conversions: CrazyEgg
- Website Health: Google Search Console
- Website Traffic: Google Analytics
10. If you had to start from scratch, what would you do different? What’s your #1 blogging mistake?
I have been blogging for more than 10 years now. During all of these years, I have made lots of mistakes. And if I have to start a blog from scratch, I will try not to repeat all of those blogging mistakes here.
One big mistake that I was making was not doing any keyword research for the contents I was creating on Bloggers Passion blog. Now we have worked on this mistake and none of our content goes live without proper keyword research.
If I have to start a new blog now, here are a few things I will keep a check on:
- Choose a brandable domain and super fast hosting
- In place of working on too many categories at a time, will create a series of posts around one category so that I can cover all content ideas around one single category.
- Monetization widgets or links should be active from day 1
- Not targeting the competitive terms. Trying to rank for keywords for which there are some low DA sites ranking in top 10 already.
11. What role did school and college shape you in making you a marketer?
School and college education has nothing to do with marketing. I have improved my marketing skills while working on my blog.
12. Which hosting will you recommend to newbie bloggers?
If you have the budget, you should go for WPX Hosting. They have super fast servers and their support is also real time. Bloggers Passion is also hosted on WPX Hosting. We are paying $250 for one year of hosting to them.
13. Most challenging moment in your Blogging career and How you dealt with it?
It was a long time back when Google Adsense was the only way I use to make money from my blogs. One fine morning, I came to know my Google Adsense account is banned and for a moment I feel as if everything is lost.
Then I spend more time on the Internet to find more Google Adsense alternatives. I gave a try to lots of monetization methods. I started making some money through banner ads, text link ads and sponsored reviews on my blog. To take my revenue to next level, I started giving a try to targeted affiliate products.
And once I get into affiliate marketing, I stopped selling banner and direct advertisements on my blog. Now most of revenue that we are making from Bloggers Passion is coming via selling affiliate products only.
14. What special tip you would like to give to newbies who are just starting out in Blogging?
I would advise them not to lose focus and keep on putting more and more efforts on your blog. Don’t lose hope and stay motivated. If you keep working in the right direction, you may start noticing success with your blog by the end of first year even. So you should give at least one year to your blogging efforts before making any perception about it.
I hope you found this interview useful. If you did please share this post on social media.