Top 20 Best WordPress Security Plugins to Secure Your Site in 2019
Here are a few facts that you may want to get your mind around to – one, WordPress is one of the most popular platforms, and currently powers nearly 31.1% of online websites and that’s a lot, whichever way you look at it.
For another, according to WordPress itself, over 400 million users view over 15 billion WordPress pages per month. It is true that when it comes to CMS, WordPress leads the pack and that naturally attracts several online threats in the form of hackers, malware attacks, and even inserting a code to cause the system to crash.
The list goes on, and currently, more than fifty thousand websites get hacked each day and WordPress platform happens to be one of the important targets for these hackers. This is the reason why you should check out the best WordPress security plugins of 2019, to enhance the security of your website and ensure that your customer’s information and data remains secure at all times.
Why You Must Use a WordPress Security Plugin?
Given the current state of hacking attempts worldwide in the quest to steal valuable information and data, it has become necessary that you take a few measures to help protect the same with the help of better free wp security WordPress plugins.
With these security measures in place, you should be able to provide your customers with better and enhanced user experience, which should result in more traffic as well as a boost in your current rankings. And depending on what plugin you had selected from our collection of some of the best wp security WordPress plugins, you should be able to better protect your data, manage all the information and data on your website and in turn, be able to provide your customers with a more qualified service.
When it comes to a question of ‘how to improve WordPress security’, there are a few measures that you can take on your own. These measures should help harden your website against any existential threats until you choose the best wp security WordPress plugin to utilize on your website.
How To Secure Your Website?
If you are just setting up your website on a WordPress platform, then you should know that WordPress is one of the most popular CMS systems and that it comes with advanced functionality, adaptability and above all, is free to use. It is no wonder that WordPress is winning the sweepstakes when it comes to being one of the most popular platforms.
And, once you have set up your website, choosing the right security plugin for your website can be a tad overwhelming which is why you may want to adopt a few measures on your own to harden your website against any malware threats.
You can carry out these measures, and once you have done the same, you can then check through our collection of some of the top security plugins for your WordPress website and choose the right one.
1. Login page hardening
Login page hardening generally means that you are attempting to make it harder for hackers to target your login page. The fact remains that login pages often tempt hackers to try and hack into your website and given this, you can take a few precautions and a few measures before you try to install one of the best wp security WordPress plugins.
You can add a two-factor authentication process, which should make it harder for hackers to try and hack your login page. Your users would be required to enter a ‘one-time password’ before they are allowed access to the main website.
2. Lockdown feature
Similarly, you can lock your website down after a number of failed attempts; while the argument that WordPress should have done this by default never seems to end, it nevertheless can be an effective measure against hackers and various malware programs.
3. Rename your login URL
This measure happens to be one of the easiest and one of the reasons as to why you want to change your login URL is to prevent any brute force attacks. WordPress websites come with a default login URL such as wp-login.php or wp-admin.php.
Unfortunately, hackers can guess the same and by using millions of user IDs and password combinations, they can try a brute force attack. That’s why; it is a good idea to change the login URL at the earliest.
4. Change your passwords
It is a good idea to change your passwords regularly; use both uppercase, and smaller case to keep it complicated. Make sure that the password is alphanumeric as well and that it contains a special character; this can make it harder still for the hackers to break into your website.
5. Idle logout
You can also set an upper cap on how long users can remain idle on your website and once they have crossed the designated timeframe, the system should auto log them out.
6. Password protect your core files
By taking measures such as using passwords to protect the core files, you are ensuring that they are protected from any hacking attempts or damage for that matter. Also, make sure that your host does a complete back up of your website on a regular basis.
These are some of the measures you can take to harden your website, help make it more secure and provide your users with a better and safer experience on your website. Of course, you can get this all done and then you can check out some of the best wp security plugins.
Essential WordPress Security Tips
Top 20 Best WordPress Security Plugins 2019
Here’s our collection of some of the best wp security plugins of 2019
The defender is one of the latest entrants an as a security plugin, it certainly seems to be quite effective. It is getting more traction online on account of the fact that it comes with more features and is comprehensive as well.
What’s more, it comes with email alerts that alert you to incoming threats and takes effective measures to counter the same. Here are a few features of this security plugin.
- Audit logging
- Two-factor authentication
- 404 limiting
- IP blacklisting
2. WordPress all in one security and firewall
This plugin effectively prevents any brute force logins; it automatically shuts out any user after repeated attempts with a wrong ID or password.
Once a user is logged out, you are automatically notified by an email and the users’ IP address is logged as well. Here are a few features of this plugin –
- It will detect if any of the users have identical user IDs and passwords and would effectively lock them out from accessing the website.
- It also comes with a password strength tool which should tell you if your password is strong enough
- It also sets an upper cap on the time allowed for idle users and effectively logs them out once the set time is breached.
- It also displays the various users who have been locked out as well as their logged IPs in an easy, navigable table.
- It also allows you to monitor/view the user activity on various user accounts
- It streamlines manual approval when a new user registers on your website
- Monitors, all spam activity including spam comments and effectively blocks IPs designated as a source of such comments
- It is an open source and therefore it is free to use
3. 6scan security
6Scan security does what it does best; it scans all the codes on your website and highlights any code that it deems to be a threat. It just does not stop there, but it also provides automatic fixes which are fantastic.
With this plugin in place, you do not have to worry about what to do next as the plugin in question is supposed to fix the issue right away. Here are some of the top features of this security plugin –
- It reads and evaluates your website
- It troubleshoots all malware issues and fixes the same
- It provides DDOS protection and comes with SQL injections, as well as cross-site scripting and much more.
- It is an open source software and completely free to use on your website.
Jetpack is one of the most used security plugins for the simple reason that it is included in the installation package; if you have just downloaded your WordPress files, you are going to find jetpack in the same.
It comes with a brute force prevention module that enables you to prevent any hacking and if that is not enough, you can also set up a two-factor authentication process where the user would often be issued with a one-time password after logging in.
If you feel that your codes have been hacked, you can always use this plugin along with the Automattic team, and get the same fixed right away. Here are a few features of this security plugin –
- It is open source and completely free to use
- It enables you to set up a two-factor authentication process
- Prevents any brute force attacks
- The basic package is free to use but if you want more advanced features such as automatic backup, then you may have to opt for a premium subscription.
5. Shield security
Shield security works by preventing dubious websites and IP addresses from accessing your website. Sounds like a dream, doesn’t it? But that is exactly what this plugin does and it also stands out apart from others in the sense that it takes active measures to both protect your website as well as itself.
In case of an attack, it locks down the website and has to be unlocked with a special key to enable users to access your website. Here are some of its features –
- It actively monitors all threats, takes effective measures automatically and notifies you only when it is necessary.
- It blocks and prevents all suspicious activities
- It completely blocks brute force bots
- It also auto logs out the user on repeated errors when logging in
- Blocks all spam comments and more
- It also comes with reCAPTCHA
- Audit trail activity monitor
- Firewall protection
- It comes with a free version as well as a premium one
6. Updraft plus
This is not your conventional WordPress security plugin in the sense that it allows you to do a complete back up without any hassle. Furthermore, it should be pointed out that a secured back up is an essential part of making your website safe and this plugin does that effectively. Check out some of its features listed below –
- It completely backs up your website
- You can also schedule backups at peak and off-peak hours
- It also comes with extra protection in the form of encryption
- It comes with a free as well as a premium version
7. WPS Hide login
This plugin enables you to change the default login with ease; by doing so, it can make it harder for hackers to crack your website. Check out below for some of its main features –
- It enables you to change the login URL
- It is compatible with several plugins
- It is free to use and a handy one to install on your website.
8. iThemes security
This plugin comes with more than a few features; for example, it allows you to change the default login URL and also scans your website completely. It is free to use and comes with rich features which you can access after installing the same on your website.
Check out some of the features of this plugin, below –
- it enables you to change the login URL
- it scans your website for malware
- it also comes with Google reCAPTCHA.
- It is free to use
9. Google authenticator
Of all the plugins that you can install on your website, this plugin is a must. It enables you to better protect and secure your data and also comes with two-factor authentication process as well. It is simple and easy to use, not to mention, completely free.
Here are some of the features of Google authenticator –
- It is free to use’
- It comes with a two-factor authentication process
- Simple and easy to use
10. Acunetix WP SecurityScan
This security plugin can be quite handy as it scans your WordPress site automatically for any vulnerability that a hacker may exploit. It searches your site for strengths and weaknesses and also comes with admin protection, version hiding, removing WP generator tags and much more.
- It auto scans your website for any risks or vulnerabilities
- It also provides you with real-time traffic stats on your website
- You can also use this plugin to check user activity on your website
- It also suggests corrective actions
- It also scans security logs for any suspicious activity
- It comes with both a free and a premium version
11. WordPress security by Clean talk
This security plugin is quite effective when it comes to preventing brute force attacks on your website. After a user has failed repeatedly in his login attempts, this plugin effectively blocks them out while recording their IP address as well.
It would also scan your security logs in case of any suspicious activity or for that matter if any suspicious IP tries to access your website. Check out some of its main features –
- It prevents any and all brute force attacks on your website
- It comes with a decent firewall
- It also comes with a daily malware scan and highlights the same so that you can take effective action to clean your computer.
- Security audit log and much more
- It also checks your traffic and all inbound and outbound links, as well as the requisite traffic
- It is an open source and free to use.
12. Security Ninja
If you want one of the top WordPress security plugins, then Security Ninja is your best bet for the simple reason that this plugin enables you to have more control over which security features you would like to be implemented over your website. Check out some of its features –
- It allows you a greater degree of control than most security plugins
- It comes with an easy to use interface
- You can use this plugin to perform 50 different tests on your website
- It comes with both a free version and a premium one, the premium version comes with a malware scanner
- It also provides you access to core file scanner as well as an event logger
13. Bulletproof security
This WordPress security plugin effectively protects your website from all threats, both inside and out. It comes with a login, database and security firewall, which should be effective enough to prevent any DDOS attacks or malware threats.
This is also one of the few plugins that update constantly to keep itself armed and ready for any threats. Check out some of its key features listed below –
- It tracks and monitors, and effectively blocks any suspicious attempts, or activities such as brute force attacks
- It comes with a scanner that constantly monitors your website as well as your traffic, and reports in any suspicious activity
- It also provides you with caching which should help improve the performance of your website.
- It comes with a free and a pro version and is easy to setup
14. Sucuri security
This security plugin works with the help of Sucuri labs, Google safe browsing, McAfee, Norton and several other companies to provide your website with a comprehensive security solution.
It scans your website for potential problems and threats and sends you an email right away, once one is found. Check out some of its key features –
- It comes with file integrity monitoring, as well as blacklist monitoring
- Security firewall
- Security activity auditing, as well as malware scanning
- All records are also maintained in the cloud and offer you easy access to the same
- It comes with both a free and a paid version
For a free WordPress security plugin, Wordfence reportedly does a lot; for one it provides you with what it claims is a complete security solution and for another, it claims to speed up the loading time of your pages, thanks to its Falcom caching engine.
It constantly monitors your website for any threats including malware and notifies you of the same. Some of its key features include –
- It is free to use
- It scans your website regularly for any malware infections
- It also provides your website with a two-factor authentication process
- It also comes with a firewall to prevent fake traffic
16. Security, antivirus, firewall, S.A.F
The neat thing about this security plugin is that it would scan all your other security plugins to ensure that they do not contain any malicious codes. Third party plugins are notorious for the same but with this one installed and running, you should be able to block any attempts to hack or infect your system.
Check out some of its features –
- It comes with a live system monitor which also includes an antivirus monitor
- Apart from scanning your system, it also scans your other security plugins to ensure that they do not contain any malicious codes
- It also comes with a malware scanner with its premium or pro version
17. WP Hide and Security scanner
With this plugin, you can remove all traces of evidence that your website is running on a WordPress platform. Hackers often target WordPress websites on account of some of the vulnerabilities that WordPress may contain, but with this plugin, you should be able to effectively hide the same.
Check out some of its key features –
- It enables you to hide all traces that your website is running on WordPress
- It blocks access to the core files
- Blocks default login URL and enable you to set a custom one
- Comes with both free and paid version
18. Login Lockdown
Hackers often make repeated attempts to get into the target website, which is why this plugin is more than necessary. With this plugin, every attempt to force a login is blocked; the plugin effectively blocks a user after several failed attempts and even logs their IP address and notifies you of the same.
Check out some of its features –
- It effectively blocks any brute force attempts
- It blocks users after several failed attempts and logs their IP address
- It is free to use
19. SSL Insecure Content Fixer
If you are trying to access a website and often receive notifications that the target content is not secure, then this plugin can help you fix the same with ease. It should help fix the automatic warming notifications and will then address the problem itself.
Here are some of its key features –
- It fixes any insecure content warning
- It is also free to use on your website
If you are worried about keeping your content, your comments and all files safe and secure, then this is the wp security WordPress plugin that you require. Valutpress syncs with everything and saves your information and data on a daily basis.
It also prevents malware injections from occurring and it provides comprehensive security for your whole website. Here are some of its key features –
- It provides comprehensive security for your website and monitors the same regularly
- It syncs with everything and saves your information on a daily basis
- It is simple to use and is a premium plugin, but at attractive rates
Which WordPress Security Plugin Is The Best for Your Website?
Now, that you have reviewed all the best wp security plugins and are actively looking wondering how to improve WordPress security, well, you would be glad to know that we are more than ready to share our conclusions with you on the same.
Well, now all you have to do is to test the shortlisted ones rather than list out all the plugins posted above and that should definitely make your job easier. So, without much further ado, let’s get to it –
- For the best value – Sucuri Security, SecuPress, Jetpack, or iThemes Security.
- If you want a free WordPress security plugin – All in One WP Security & Firewall, Sucuri Security (free version,) or Wordfence Security.
- If you’re looking for a security plugin for beginners – All in One WP Security & Firewall.
- When you require a more advanced brute force protection plugin – WP fail2ban.
- If you’d like two-factor authentication – Google Authenticator – Two Factor Authentication.
- For a beautiful interface – VaultPress.
It is evident that any WordPress website needs more than just one good WordPress security plugin, and some even help your website to perform better and in the process, enable your users to enjoy a better user experience on your website.
The plugins listed above have all been tested, and you just need to pick one that can effectively secure your data, information and help provide your users with more user-centric features while enabling you to keep all their information safe and secure, at all times.
Top 20 Best WordPress E-commerce Plugins
15 Must Have WordPress Plugins For Bloggers To Use
Best WordPress Maintenance Mode Plugins